Saturday, October 10, 2015

Indian Green Vine Snake


The snake is so well camouflaged it will be difficult to identify it at first look.
Its body can be seen extending on to gauva tree, its underbelly lighter in shade looks like veins of the leaves
If we observe closely everything in nature appears beautiful.  Even snakes though venomous are beautiful creatures.  There may be hundreds of species of snakes.  Some are highly venomous some are non-poisonous; the poison of some may cause problems which may resolve in short period.  But whenever a snake is seen there will be fear in mind with the thought of its poison.  I believe any creature will attack only when its life is threatened. 

As usual I was looking keenly at the plants beside our compound wall to find anything interesting.  I spotted this green snake camouflaged amidst the plants and vines in the area.  I knew that it is called ‘pasirika’ in Telugu and is non-poisonous.  I brought my hand camera and clicked few pics.  It noticed me and looked at me constantly for some time and then made a slow move into the shrubs around.  I think it will have ample food as I have seen lizards in there.  There are also frogs that are often seen in our premises and I was bit worried that it may enter our premises to feed on the frogs and lizards that are seen around.  But except on that day I never saw it again.
When disturbed it expands its body exibiting a black and white scale markings.
I did not disturb it, just watched its activity
This snake (Ahaetulla nasuta) known as green vine snake is different from that seen in America.  Ahaetulla nasuta, the Indian green vine snake is also seen in Srilanka, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Cambodia and Vietnam.  As I thought it is not non-poisonous, but mildly poisonous, bite causing swelling which will subside in three days.  It turned its pouted head towards me as it perceived my activity a threat and on observing me for a while decided I am not a threat to it and moved away.  It is believed by some people that it uses its pouted head to blind its human victims.  This is supposed to be a myth.  Anyway I was fortunate that even after staring at me for more than five minutes it passed off coolly without attacking me.  
I waited looking at it to see if it opens its mouth and shows its tongue or fangs, which it does to display threat.
It never opened its mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment